On one hand you’re focused on your latest design project, but in the back of your head you’re always wondering how to get more leads, better cash flow, higher margins… and all whilst working fewer hours, stressing less and banking more.
Sound familiar? Thought so.
Well I’ve got good and bad news.
The bad news is that I don’t have a magic bullet that answers all our prayers (although I am trying to invent one with my Reseller program).
Being in business is HARD work. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have any regrets but geez I’ve made some doozies over the years and I’m willing to bet that you have too.
The good news is that I’ve got 10 years under my belt now and although I’ll always be a work in progress, I have made a LOT of mistakes and learnt a LOT of lessons along the way. Lessons I hope you can learn from.
I’m not one for regrets but I did want to share with you some key insights, or shall we call them hindsights? They might just help you fast-track your business and realise your dreams sooner.
So buckle up and let’s drive into them… (*lol* I crack myself up!)
These 7 tips could quickly drive your business onto the success superhighway.
- Put 80% of your time and effort into sales and marketing.I think my biggest regret would be that I didn’t work on creating a sales force in my first 7 years of business. Even though our sales team is still small, the impact it’s had on our growth has been exponential. How could I be so blind?!
- Cut back (or even cut out) meetings with prospects.Wait until they give you the green light and become clients. Done right, it’ll increase your lead to sale conversion and it’ll give you back 10+ hours per week; not to mention your clients will respect you, and your time, more.
- Have a BHAG.What’s your Big Hairy Audacious Goal? (Mine is to help 1,000,000 small businesses get a website, easy huh?)
- Communicate the ‘Why’.Don’t get caught up in the ‘what’ when it comes to what you offer, it’s far more important to communicate the ‘why’ of what you offer, and ‘why’ you do what you do. That’s what turns customers into fans, that’s what turns employees into loyal, hardworking long-term players in your business. So, what’s your ‘why’?
- Get a mentor.They will propel your business forward like you wouldn’t believe. I used to spend $2,000 per month on a mentor and it might have hurt my cashflow in the short term, but boy, it was the best investment I ever made and it pushed my business profitability forward 10 years… in about 24 months. You can’t ask for better than that!
- Have a plan and a strategy to achieve your goals.Create a 90-day ‘plan of attack’ before each quarter and also have your 1 year and 5 year plans handy and refer to them regularly to see if you’re on track. Hold yourself accountable. Stop trying to do everything yourself.
- If you don’t enjoy it, or if it’s not making you big money… delegate it. Hire new staff or outsource any tasks that take you away from working on more important big picture tasks. Remember the only thing you can’t delegate is the task of steering your business into profitability. No one is going to care as much about your business as you do.
Take it from me, the only thing holding you back from a super-charged business is YOU. Don’t stress about what you don’t have, focus on what you DO have, and what goals you CAN achieve today. So, are you with me? Let’s get profiting!
Wishing you all the success you so deserve.
What do you think? Share your comments below.